Issues loading software

Started by JJ, November 14, 2015, 08:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJ

Running Arduino 1.6.x
Win 7

FTDI connected, switch to the left, ATmegatron on.
Port - Comm 6
Board - Uno

Cannot get any software to load without low memory message and then a series of sync errors.
A check in device manager shows the FTDI to USB connected and working properly

I am a newb with arduino and so understand very little so some help would be appreciated.

paulsoulsby

Hi,
Which Atmegatron software version are you running (i.e. Delayertron, Atmegadrum etc)?  Can I check that the black wire of the FTDI is on the left (when viewed from above).

There's issues with Arduino 1.6.6 (the latest version).  Versions 1.6.0 to 1.6.5 should all be fine.

Also, try switching switch left and right a few times, then back to left (when viewed from above).

Let me know if that helps!
Paul

JJ

Hello and thank you for your response.

I have tried to run duotron and atpolytron using arduino 1.6.0

My FTDI cable has a different color coding  I suppose that could be the issue but as I said windows shows the connection in device manager.

paulsoulsby

Hmm, yeah FTDI colour codings are pretty universal, even between makes.  I don't suppose you have a link to the cable you bought?  Then I can check that it's OK.

Don't worry about low mem warning.  The issue is the sync - the cable is failing to put the Atmegatron into programming mode. 

Once I've checked the data sheet for your cable, I should be able to help more.

Paul

JJ

Here is the link:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013Q92Y3C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I opted for this one because it was few dollars cheaper.  I have already set up a return for this one and ordered a replacement from Spark Fun.

BTW Im really enjoying the atmegatron.  Im eager to try out the atpoly, delayer and duo software.

Thanks again for your help.

paulsoulsby

Hmm, yeah that cable pin order is wrong.  That's interesting actually, I thought they were all the same.  I shall have to put some posts up to warn others.  So your pin order is:
Red wire: 5V.
Black wire: GND.
White wire: RXD.
Green wire: TXD.
Yellow wire: RTS.
Blue wire: CTS.

The standard is:
Black:  GND
Brown:  CTS
Red:  5V
Orange:  TX
Yellow:  RX
Green:  RTS

It's sometimes possible to change the pin order.  There's a little plastic clip holding the metal pin in.  Pull that back, then pull the wire and the pin comes out.  Then reorder your cables:  Black, Blue, Red, Green, White, Yellow.

That should fix it.  There is a bonus issue - your cable is 3.3V, not 5V.  I have several 3.3V cables and they all work fine, but they may become unreliable after a few months of use.

JJ

Cable from Spark Fun arrived today and software uploaded flawlessly.   ;D

I did in fact order a 5V cable. Running Arduino 1.6.5, Win 7.

Thanks again for your attention and insight.  Loving the territory this little box covers.  This software only opens the door to more possibilities.  Happy to have this sorted.

Cheers,
JJ

paulsoulsby

Great news!  Hope you enjoy all the other software versions and the Odytron software will be out very soon!
Paul