News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

CC for Volume

Started by rio, October 06, 2017, 12:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rio

Hi,

i can't see any CC to control volume via CC (normaly #CC 007) . It is technically possible - maybe by modifing code?

Greetings,
rio

paulsoulsby

Hi the function to call is in: https://github.com/soulsbysynths/libraries/blob/master/Amplifier/Amplifier.h 

You need to set a value for EnvLevel.  You can do this in the CC list in the normal place in the engine (AtmEngine::midiControlChangeReceived).  However you'll have to call the amplifier directly, not via the patch.  Also ... be warned, by setting the volume digitally  you are changing the bit rate of the sound.  So if you set the bit rate to half, you're changing the 8 bit sound to a 7 bit more.  Halve it again and it's a 6 bit sound.

It's how the miniAtmegatron works, but I didn't think it was suitable for the full Atmegatron, hence the analogue pot.

rio

ah ok thanks. Good to know, whats going on inside. So for my purpose (sequencing a "fade" in or "fade out" could be better performed by CCs for amp attack / decay - but I havn't tried yet)

paulsoulsby

Yes amp envelope would be good, if it's just a fade in and out on each note.  There's nothing wrong with setting the volume digitally for effects, but it wouldn't be a good way for setting the fixed volume of each song.  (ie sending out a volume CC when you load a song).

rio

Quote from: paulsoulsby on October 10, 2017, 10:48:07 PM
Hi the function to call is in: https://github.com/soulsbysynths/libraries/blob/master/Amplifier/Amplifier.h 

You need to set a value for EnvLevel.  You can do this in the CC list in the normal place in the engine (AtmEngine::midiControlChangeReceived).  However you'll have to call the amplifier directly, not via the patch.  Also ... be warned, by setting the volume digitally  you are changing the bit rate of the sound.  So if you set the bit rate to half, you're changing the 8 bit sound to a 7 bit more.  Halve it again and it's a 6 bit sound.

It's how the miniAtmegatron works, but I didn't think it was suitable for the full Atmegatron, hence the analogue pot.

Would it be possible the "use of CC 7 for Volume" to implement in the option page (regardless of bit lossness)?

Greetings,
rio

SergioRo

I'm not the most experienced guy with this, but I don't think that's possible. I'd certainly like to know how if it is. Maybe someone more experienced will shed some light on this.