Atmegadrum MIDI implementation - about Control Change

Started by Ashtom, July 10, 2014, 03:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashtom

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if there are any MIDI control changes implemented for the Atmegadrum by looking at its code. As I'm comparing with the Atmegatron code, I'm afraid I can't find any.
Since there is only 86 bytes left, I guess it will be difficult to add any. Does anyone can confirm this? I think Paul will know better but it doesn't hurt to ask around.

Thanks!

paulsoulsby

Hi there,
You have guessed correctly! I removed absolutely every non-essential bit of MIDI code to make more room for drum samples. 
You'd need to shorten the drum samples to add any MIDI controllers.
I'll try and upload the app I wrote to create the drum sample array this week.  It just reads in wavs and allows you to shorten them to whatever length you want (always cropping at a zero crossing).  It then outputs the code which can be copied and pasted in to the Arduino sketch.
If you shorten all the drum samples, you'll have a bit more room to put in MIDI CCs. Of course it'll allow to try completely new drum samples too!
Paul

Ashtom

Hi Paul,

would you have any news about the drum sample converter app you wrote? I couldn't find it in the Downloads page (or am I missing it?).
Thanks in advance!

Ashtom

paulsoulsby

I still haven't had a chance to convert it to Java yet!  Would a Windows-only version be any use to you?  It's pretty rough and ready, but I could upload that now if it'd be useful.

Ashtom

paulsoulsby

Just added it to the Download page.  Let me know if it installs OK or if you have any issues with it.  Samples need to be 8 bit and mono (and pref around 8Khz sample rate). 
I'll try and do a more professional Java version in the new year.

Ashtom

Thank you so much! It works like a charm. I could get the values for a kick and clap without any problem but haven't uploaded them in the Atmegadrum yet.
I like the feature to crop the sample in the application. It would be great to preview the cropping result.
I'm always amazed by your blazing fast responses. That's what I call quality customer service!
Thanks again and enjoy the end of year festivities if any.

paulsoulsby

No problem at all  :D

You'll find that you start to run out of room once you go over 19kB of samples.  However you can put short samples of silence in some slots, to allow for longer samples in others.

Thinking of doing a second version with only 8 samples, which will allow for longer samples and higher sample rate.