Author Topic: Post your songs!  (Read 1778 times)

Re: Post your songs!

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 11:39:26 PM »
Open quickbuttons

rio

• View Profile
hey ToyKeeper,

after I could hear the songs in peace at home :D - here are some thoughts about it:

easy does it draft 1:
  these are really nice lead sounds and melodies that you created there. The recording sounds a bit overdriven, but maybe it was your intention. Personally, I think it would sound better, if not so distorted - especially in the bass area, there is a lot lost by that. You can certainly rasp at one point or another, otherwise thats quite passable... I would cut it a bit more. The combination of the bass melody with the lead sounds is really cool ...

digitest 1: is the arpeggio sound by atmegatron? it sounds nice melodic ... although the part is quite strong. the other sounds in the background are not bad either;)

...do not misunderstand me - I really like both tunes;)

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 04:51:04 AM »
Open quickbuttons

ToyKeeper

• View Profile
hey ToyKeeper,

after I could hear the songs in peace at home :D - here are some thoughts about it:

easy does it draft 1:
  these are really nice lead sounds and melodies that you created there. The recording sounds a bit overdriven, but maybe it was your intention. Personally, I think it would sound better, if not so distorted - especially in the bass area, there is a lot lost by that. You can certainly rasp at one point or another, otherwise thats quite passable... I would cut it a bit more. The combination of the bass melody with the lead sounds is really cool ...

digitest 1: is the arpeggio sound by atmegatron? it sounds nice melodic ... although the part is quite strong. the other sounds in the background are not bad either;)

...do not misunderstand me - I really like both tunes;)

Thanks for listening!  It really does mean a lot.  Also, sorry for the delay...

Let's see...  the main instrument in both songs is the "atmegabrute", which is two synths going through a delay effect.  The Atmegatron provides a chiptune sound, which is routed into a Microbrute as an external oscillator.  The Microbrute mixes this with a folded triangle wave, a PWM'd square wave, and an octave-lower sub-oscillator.  The mix goes through a variable resonant filter, then to a beat-matched delay effect.

To shape the sound, I only modified three parameters while recording:
* Atmegatron volume (from zero to massively overdriven)
* Sub-oscillator volume (from zero to massively overdriven)
* Filter base frequency (on mod wheel)

This provided three dimensions worth of expressive space to explore.  Most of it relied heavily on overdriven waveforms with the edge taken off by a filter...  because overdriven distorted basslines are what the Microbrute really excels at.  That's why all its knobs go up to 200%, and why it has a "brute factor" knob to feed the signal into itself.  I have the line in adjusted similarly, so the Atmegatron hits full volume a bit less than halfway up, and then gets distorted as I turn it up further.

As long as I'm using an intentionally-dirty analog subtractive synth, I'm making its spectrum very messy and cutting or emphasizing the relevant frequencies pretty heavily.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:00:16 AM by ToyKeeper »

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 04:56:17 AM »
Open quickbuttons

ToyKeeper

• View Profile
Much of the reason for the delay earlier is because I wanted to finish the song.  So earlier this week I decided to give it another try, using the Digitakt to do drums and MIDI sequencing.  This time things went much better.  The Atmegatron still helped make a nice dirty growling bassline, but I ended up using other instruments for the other parts because I only have one Atmegatron and it's all played realtime.

So here is "Easy Does It", finally finished:

https://youtu.be/9uHgZqewFFE

I would love to hear what people think of this.  It's my first attempt at making an actual song on a hardware sequencer, driving other synths in real time.

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 08:29:03 AM »
Open quickbuttons

rio

• View Profile
OK - Great. I'll listen to it in my studio this evening ... cool that you always technically explain your stuff ;)

I now use various delays in my setup too (uploading a picture of my setup would probably not a bad idea :) - even composing a new song :o) ... One of the delay is analogue - others are emulating the analog sound. Thus I have a delay behind each of atmegatron and odytron ... but these are used wisely;)

Greetings,
rio
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:43:01 AM by rio »