Author Topic: Post your songs!  (Read 547 times)

Post your songs!

« on: April 22, 2017, 12:55:13 PM »
Open quickbuttons

ToyKeeper

• View Profile
If you've made music with a Soulsby synth, post it here so others can hear it!

Okay, I recognize this isn't the most active forum, but with any luck maybe I won't be the only one participating?  :)

Re: Post your songs!

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 01:04:54 PM »
Open quickbuttons

ToyKeeper

• View Profile
Today I made my first Atmegatron song.  I call it "The Slip":
https://youtu.be/BKiagBByayI
Atmegatron: All synths and sound effects.
OP-1: Drums, voice.
KP3: Beat-matched echo effect.
The vocal was a random clip from the radio.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 06:56:00 AM »
Open quickbuttons

ToyKeeper

• View Profile
I made another song today with the same setup, Atmegatron to KP3 to OP-1.  I call it "Perspective", as explained below:

"The longer we go on, the more we can see when we look back. Hidden meanings emerge; deeper layers become more clear in retrospect. We get the jokes which were too subtle or dark to catch the first time, and we laugh... even if it's bittersweet, even if maybe the first time through we cried in pain and confusion. It's all a matter of perspective."

It's a slow burn, but I like it.  I hope you will too.
https://youtu.be/VCPca0OSTVQ

Soulsby Station

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 09:02:16 PM »
Open quickbuttons

steholmes

• View Profile
Thought i'd post my first live performance with my Atmegatron. Let me know what you think.

Cheers

https://youtu.be/kUskZP9eDiM

Re: Soulsby Station

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 10:12:58 PM »
Open quickbuttons

ToyKeeper

• View Profile
Thought i'd post my first live performance with my Atmegatron. Let me know what you think.

Cool, that's a nice relaxing tune with a good mix of soft and crunchy sounds.

I'm not entirely clear on your setup.  Some of the cables are hidden, and it seems there's a sequencer running somewhere.  How is your audio chain set up, and what's driving the Atmegatron, and which parts come from which devices?  It looks like pads from the Blofeld, drums obviously from the MachineDrum, and the analog bit at the end from the BassStation, with some crunchy leads from the Atmegatron, but that still leaves at least one instrument unaccounted for and I'm not sure how you've set up timbre control on the Atmegatron.

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 11:08:28 AM »
Open quickbuttons

steholmes

• View Profile
Cheers,

You've pretty much nailed it there. The additional instrument comes from the Blofeld.

This is all sequenced on the MachineDrum  which provides the drums and vocal samples too.

I connect everything via an iConnent Midi 4 which i've never had any issues with. All audio is then routed to a Cymatic Audio LR-16 for multitrack recording.

Hope that clears it up and Thanks :)

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 05:33:32 PM »
Open quickbuttons

rio

• View Profile
Wow! ToyKeeper ... good chippy sounding - only the beat sounds to me boring (the slip) - it has not much variety. But the lead & arp are simple great. Are the lead sound & arp from Atmegatron and how did you made it multitimbral? - did you record single tracks one after the other?

greetings,rio
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 05:36:04 PM by rio »

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 05:14:56 AM »
Open quickbuttons

ToyKeeper

• View Profile
Wow! ToyKeeper ... good chippy sounding - only the beat sounds to me boring (the slip) - it has not much variety. But the lead & arp are simple great. Are the lead sound & arp from Atmegatron and how did you made it multitimbral? - did you record single tracks one after the other?

To make it multitimbral, I recorded several tracks one at a time and layered them.  Everything in the songs came from the Atmegatron, except for the drums and the vocal sample.  Mostly, I use the OP1 as a 4-track tape recorder and drum machine, recording and arranging performances from other instruments.

Drums in The Slip were indeed pretty boring...  I didn't really even try to do anything with that.  It's somewhat more interesting in the second song though.

The main difficulty I ran into with this setup is that the KP3's effects don't have key tracking.  If I do a resonant lowpass delay, for example, the lowpass frequency doesn't change per-note...  so the resonance stays at one pitch and causes ear fatigue.  I may see if I can patch the Atmegatron through a Microbrute instead, with identical midi sent to both devices, in order to get key tracking on the filters and perhaps add an extra envelope and LFO.

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 09:37:55 AM »
Open quickbuttons

rio

• View Profile
ok thx for info. Your recorded patches/patterns are well arranged ;)-

The main difficulty I ran into with this setup is that the KP3's effects don't have key tracking.  If I do a resonant lowpass delay, for example, the lowpass frequency doesn't change per-note...  so the resonance stays at one pitch and causes ear fatigue.  I may see if I can patch the Atmegatron through a Microbrute instead, with identical midi sent to both devices, in order to get key tracking on the filters and perhaps add an extra envelope and LFO.

You mean, something like an "envelope behaviour". I am not familar with kaos Pad, I think it's more limited. But atmegatron has envelopes too, for a creative sound modeling!
Otherwise, If you like to program sequences by hardware you can control some parameter of your kaos pad (x-,y-axes) by definable CCs from your arturia keystep or even OP-1 (but it's sadly usb...).

manual page 23
http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/USA_Kp3_plus_OM_EFGS1.pdf
Controller MIDI messages transmitted and received (factory settings)
Touch pad X-axis Control change (#12)
Touch pad Y-axis Control change (#13)...

Never saw OP-1 before, but it looks like a great versatile seq/device.
Greetings.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:29:57 AM by rio »